A 16-Minute HIIT Workout You Can Do Anywhere
Even if you have no time for fitness, I'm certain you can find at least 16 minutes for this quick, four-exercise circuit. It is a high-intensity interval training (HIIT) circuit, aimed at getting your heart rate up! HIIT boosts endorphins and builds lean muscle. This style of training is a combination of fast bursts of exercise with rest periods. The rest sessions allow the body to maintain the muscle while the short intense bursts shred fat. Give it a try with this quick routine!
Perform each exercise for one minute. Complete as many repetitions as possible. After you finish the entire routine, rest for 30 seconds to a minute. When you feel completely recovered, repeat the series three more times.
Here is a short description of each exercise:
1. Skaters: Place all of your weight on the right foot. Deeply bend knee, shift hips back, and lower down. Drive off the ball of your foot and jump out as far as possible. Land softly and quickly switch direction. Continue at a fast pace.
2. High-Knee Jumps: Stand with feet hip-width apart. Bend knees, shift hips back, and lower down until thighs are parallel to the ground. Jump off the ground as high as possible, driving your knees to your chest. Repeat the movement at a fast pace.
3. Mini-Squat Jumps: Stand with feet hip-width apart. Bend knees, shift hips back, and lower down until thighs are parallel to the ground. Start to take small hops off the ground. Keep chest up and hips back. Land softly.
4. Split Jumps: Stand with your right foot forward and left foot back in a lunge position. Deeply bend both knees and lower down. Explosively drive off the ground and jump up as high as possible. Switch legs in the air and land softly. Repeat the movement at a fast pace.
Want to keep going? Here are a few more great mbg workouts to try:
- This HIIT Workout Will Get You Lean & Toned In 12 Minutes
- A 20-Minute HIIT Workout You Can Do Anywhere
Nora Tobin is a NASM-certified personal trainer living in Santa Barbara, California. She is a health and wellness partner to Marriott International’s luxury brands and The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection. Her company hosts luxury retreats, executive summits, and keynotes globally. Nora is also a Performance Enhancement and Nutrition Specialist, yoga instructor, and columnist. She’s received advanced certifications in helicopter, cliff, scuba and ocean rescue. She also hosts daily live yoga classes on her Instagram, open to all levels.