How To Use A Jade Roller: An Expert Explains In This Easy Guide
Using jade as a healing stone for skin is thousands of years old. The stone is known from ancient tradition to be particularly healing, bringing harmony and balance into life. You may see jade used in gua sha, a bodywork technique that practitioners believe moves stagnant and unhealthy energy through the blood, in which the jade tool is used as a scraping mechanism; skin care practitioners (and at-home DIY fans alike) use a gentler version of gua sha techniques on the face.
Then there's the jade roller—a popular skin care practice that has likely shown up on your Instagram feed a time or two by now. And it's so popular for good reason: Facial rolling and massage has been shown in studies to improve circulation in the face. This has several key benefits when done regularly: It may help sculpt the face, enhance tone, a smooth fine lines.
How to jade roll your face:
The order in which you jade roll your face is important—you want to work with the muscles as well as encourage circulation and lymph drainage. Here, an easy step-by-step guide to rolling.
- Apply a serum, oil, or moisturizer. You should never jade roll on a dry face. Meyers uses Lumion serum in the video (it's her personal favorite), any of your go-to serums or oils will work.
- Pick a side of the face to start with—you'll do all these motions on that side first, before repeating on the other. Start at the top center of your forehead (by the hairline), and move out and down toward your temple. Repeat this motion several times, moving your starting location south with each pass. Eventually, your starting point will be just above the brow bone.
- Move below the eye, starting at the inner corner right by the bridge of the nose. Sweep the roller around the shape of the eye, and moving up towards the temple at the end. This will provide a lifting affect. Repeat this motion, moving down, until you hit the end of your cheek bone.
- Pull the roller straight across under the cheek bone ending at the ear. Do a few passes focusing on this area.
- Moving down, you'll want to follow your jawline from chin to ear. At the end of this movement, however, you want to pull up slightly before swiveling around and down again, toward the neck. (It almost has a U-turn sort of quality.) Focus on this section for several passes.
- Repeat steps 2-5 on the other side of your face.
It is so easy to add jade rolling to your skin care routine—but it can make a big difference in your skin, facial muscles, and your mood.
Want your passion for wellness to change the world? Become A Functional Nutrition Coach! Enroll today to join our upcoming live office hours.