15 Ways To Squeeze More Yoga Into Your Everyday Activities
There are so many opportunities in our everyday activities to add a little more yoga. Here are only fifteen of them. Use the comment box below to share more when you come up with them!
1. Practice deep breathing when you’re at the dentist or doctor’s office. Place your hand on your lower stomach so you can connect deeper to your own breath and body, close your eyes and take deep breaths through the nose and into the belly. Breathe deeply.
2. Practice pranayama on road trips, commutes to and from work, airplane rides, etc.
3. Meditate on the plane, train or bus.
4. Practice love and compassion. Allow these attributes to become the core of your being. Ask yourself, “Can I bring more love and compassion into this situation?” Rather than being upset or annoyed that you have to work, remember how grateful you are to have a job that supports you, etc.
5. When standing in line at the gas station or grocery store think of three things that you're grateful for. Allow this to become a habit; it will help you cultivate gratitude in your life.
6. Do utthanasana (standing forward fold) whenever you feel stressed. It doesn’t matter where you are; I practice utthanasana at work when I feel like I need it. Utthanasana calms anxiety and brings more oxygen and nutrients to the brain.
7. Practice Viparita Karani (legs up the wall pose) after any exercise, work, or after sitting for an extended period of time. This pose has many benefits: it regulates blood flow, calms anxiety, relieves head and back aches, and relieves symptoms of mild depression and insomnia.
8. Chant while you’re in the shower.
9. Express gratitude (whether verbally or mentally) before eating.
10. Eat for health, not for weight loss. Nourishing our bodies with healthy, wholesome food is essential for our wellness and vitality. We can't be the best versions of ourselves if we don’t fuel our bodies properly. Eat lots of colourful fruits and vegetables, complete proteins, and healthy fats.
11. Counterbalance your daily activities. For example, do a chest opener after spending time on a computer, writing, or driving; most of our daily actions involve closing the shoulders and rounding of the back. Open your chest with a backbend daily.
12. Get inverted everyday. Inversions are so important for our health and they feel so good. Do a handstand against a wall, get your legs up the wall, or do a shoulderstand.
13. Practice compassion to yourself. You can't be a loving, happy, healthy person if you don’t love yourself first. Give yourself a pat on the back for even the smallest accomplishments. You deserve it.
14. Be in the moment: turn off your phone, computer, or television and be open to the present moment. Laugh with friends, or spend time alone, but spend some time completely unplugged from the electronic world.
15. Practice, practice, practice.
Ready to learn how to fight inflammation and address autoimmune disease through the power of food? Join our 5-Day Inflammation Video Summit with mindbodygreen’s top doctors.