7 Ways To Unlock Your Potential By Clearing Clutter
Clutter affects your whole life.
You cannot be successful in the way you have dreamed of if you're stuck in the
quicksand of clutter.
Frankly, it keeps you lodged in the past and makes it difficult to move towards a fulfilling future.
Clutter comes in all shapes and sizes. Your clutter may be stacked in corners, piled on tables, stuffed in drawers, squished in filing cabinets, packed in attics, and hidden behind closed doors. Unfortunately, wherever it materializes, you feel depleted just thinking about it.
In feng shui terms, clutter creates stagnant energy that keeps you trapped in every way imaginable.
The motto Healthy energy is moving energy applies here. If you cannot move through your home without being obstructed by clutter, you can be certain that subtle energy will not be able to flow, either. When energy stops flowing, life stops progressing.
Clutter also creates a feeling of pandemonium as you find yourself running in 20 directions simultaneously. With so many stimuli encircling you, it’s impossible to focus on what to do, where to go, or what you want.
How do you expect to achieve your goals if you are consumed with locating basic necessities amidst your chaos?
Feeling out of control in your environment seeps into your everyday life. Clutter pulls your energy down. You may experience this as feeling overwhelmed, exhausted, frustrated, confused, or depressed. Massive success and fulfillment do not fit into this equation. In some cases, your social life is also negatively affected. You become so embarrassed by all your “stuff” that you avoid entertaining friends. If they do come by and it’s a mess, what does that imply about who you are and how you feel about yourself?
It's time to "unplug" yourself from the turmoil in your environment so you can surge forward. Try re-framing any negative thoughts and tap into the vision of the unlimited possibilities that await you on the other side of chaos. Just clearing one drawer can open up your heart and mind to new possibilities. You will immediately feel a sense of relief and will have more energy to continue the process.
Organizing your belongings will bring you liberation and expansion. Instead of focusing on what you are getting rid of, concentrate on moving towards your dreams and goals. As soon as you begin, you will feel lighter, happier, more motivated, and more confident about yourself. When you remove the clutter, you’ll have nothing holding you back, and your life will be free to take the form you envision for it.
Below are seven tips for getting started!
1. Cut the cord and let go of things that keep you stuck in the past. (i.e. mementos from past relationships, clothes that don't fit, pictures and letters from people who didn't support you, items you keep "just in case.")
2. Try easy things first. Recycle junk mail, magazines/newpapers, expired foods, broken items, old schedules, coupons etc.
3. Start small and build momentum. The dining table, the mantel, a kitchen drawer is a good place to begin. Trick yourself into doing a small area and once you finish it, you’ll have more energy to tackle the larger ones.
4. Complete one area at a time. Do not go back and forth between different areas. You end up scattering your energy and won’t see results anywhere.
5. Clean up after each session. Take the garbage to the dump. Place donation bags, dry-cleaning and objects to be repaired in your trunk to drop off. Tidy the area where you worked so you can see your progress.
6. Do a simple space cleansing afterwards to allow fresh energy to infuse your surroundings.
7. Create a sacred space for meditation, contemplation and to connect with your highest self. Once your mind and space are free of clutter, you'll be able to focus on your dreams and goals.
Remind yourself that the clearing process may not always feel comfortable, but it is essential to achieving harmony and success. Change isn’t always easy, but the reward is nothing short of a personal evolution. (for more clutter clearing tips, click here.)
Feeling a little fatigued? Feel like something's just not right, but Western Medicine tells you, "you're fine"? Jason Wachob, founder & CEO of mindbodygreen, tells all in his health story. Sign up now for FREE!