Everyone always asks me how I get my glow and balance my thyroid naturally.
I follow a 12-hour intermittent fast from the time of my last meal at night, until the next day after my daily practice, or sadhana — a pillar that I talk about in my Thyroid Yoga course. It's a non-negotiable holy practice that reminds me that I am worthy before I go out into the world — and yes, that means before I turn on my phone and check email, or my Instagram feed. After my sadhana, I like to keep things light in the morning. I've found that works best for my metabolism, energy levels, my thyroid — and my skin!
My go-to beauty smoothie blends matcha, hemp seeds, a few very generous dashes of cinnamon, a tablespoon of coconut butter, half a frozen banana, raw fermented probiotics from microbiome expert Body + Eden, and schizandra and pearl from Moon Juice. This is the ultimate beauty food! Why? Because beauty begins in the gut.
When we're not digesting our food properly, we feel puffy, bloated, and foggy; our skin breaks out; and we get sick. More potent than a capsule, naturally fermented herbs and superfoods allow for easy assimilation and better absorption of minerals and nutrients, while helping your body replenish its beneficial gut bacteria. If I feel like I need a bit more energy for the day ahead, I make my smoothie even more potent with a sprinkle of bee pollen, one of my favorite beauty superfoods.
Here's how I create my activated beauty alchemy:
- 1½ cup purified water
- handful of ice cubes
- ½ frozen banana or ½ organic avocado
- handful organic greens
- 2 tablespoons organic hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon organic matcha powder
- 1 teaspoon organic spirulina powder
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut butter
- a few generous dashes of cinnamon
- a pinch of Moon Juice Pearl Powder
- pinch of schizandra berry powder
- 1 scoop Beauti-Fuel plant-based protein powder
- ½ tsp Body + Eden raw organic probiotics
- optional: 1 teaspoon organic honey
- optional topping: 1 tablespoon bee pollen
Blend until smooth and creamy.
Sip slowly — yes, away from your phone and technology. Invite each sip to serve as a sacred act of nourishment.