Treat Yourself: A Detox Bath To Give You Glowing Skin
There are a variety of known ways for us to detox, but the general rule is "nutrition in, toxins out." One way I love to do it is with a weekly detox bath that can help clean out the lymphatic system and cleanse the liver, gallbladder, skin, and digestive system.
This recipe uses natural elements that come straight from earth — including bentonite clay and Epsom salts — to draw toxins out of the body while the salt and charcoal drive minerals into the cells. It's relaxing, rejuvenating, and stimulating.
A little about the ingredients:
- Bentonite clay: Volcanic ash and an absorbent aluminum phyllosilicate. As most toxins are positively charged, the negatively charged clay rids the body of toxins as it pulls and holds the toxins into its core. It also attracts parasites and locks it into the antibodies, which leave the body as the clay does.
- Epsom salts: Not actually salt, but a naturally occurring pure mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate. Magnesium regulates the activity of enzymes, reducing inflammation, helping muscle and nerve function. Sulfates help improve the absorption of nutrients, flush toxins, and help ease migraine headaches.
- Real salt: Essential for the human body and is high in trace minerals.
- Activated charcoal: Absorbs poisons from the body, including heavy metals. Reduces intestinal gas and bloating, lowers cholesterol levels, heals hangovers, and treats bile flow problems.
- 2 cups of Epsom salts
- 1 cup bentonite clay
- 1 tablespoon real salt
- 1/2 teaspoon activated charcoal (you can break open charcoal capsules)
Fill your bathtub with hot water, as hot as you can handle without being scalded. Add all the ingredients to the water when the tub is full (the water will be cloudy). Soak in the bath for at least 10 minutes — 30 minutes if you can. Towel off and eat a bowl of fresh berries or an orange after your bath to balance out your blood sugar, and drink ample water.
Adapted from The Earth Diet: Your Complete Guide to Living Using Earth's Natural Ingredients by Liana Werner-Gray. It is published by Hay House (October 2014) and is available now at all major bookstores.
And do you want to know if you should you go Keto? Paleo? Deciding what to eat to feel your best shouldn’t be complicated. We’ve removed the guesswork to give you all the best nutrition tips & tools, all in one place. Ready to kickstart your health journey? We’re here to guide you.