10 Healing Herbs You Can Grow At Home

10 Healing Herbs You Can Grow At Home Hero Image

Herbs are among the best and easiest things you can grow at home. You don’t need a large space, and by having herbs on tap, you’ll be able to pick them fresh for all of your juices, smoothies, salads and other dishes. Plus, growing your own is way cheaper than buying them and you won’t end up with a fridge full of wilted leftover herbs.

Here’s a list of my top 10 healing herbs and their medicinal properties. You can also click here to watch as my friend and organic gardening teacher Nicola Chatham shows me how to plant an abundant herb garden on my balcony.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

ADVERTISEMENT

Basil leaves contain essential oils that have potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Basil is also a great source of iron and vitamin A. Add to salads and stir fry.

Sage is anti-hypertensive, anti-diabetic, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial. Plus it helps cleanse your blood and may even prevent Alzheimer’s disease.

This herb is fantastic for anyone healing from cancer. It has a diuretic action and can be used to remove excess fluid from the body, and as a tonic for the urinary tract and kidneys. The leaves are also rich in vitamin C. The bite size leaves are great to add to a salad, they add a sour lemony taste. The leaves can also be added to sauces and soups.

Growing tip: Sheep sorrel prefers a moist but well drained soil, which is slightly acidic. Grow in an area with a little sun and partial shade. It will not do well in hot weather.

ADVERTISEMENT

This is an awesome chelation herb, which means that it helps the body to detoxify heavy metals and supports the liver in this process. I add this herb to salad, stir fry, curry, green juice and green smoothies.

Herb Robert works to increase the immune response and the body’s ability to regenerate. It has a very unique ability to oxygenate the cells, making it another awesome herb for those of us healing from cancer. Drink as a fresh herbal tea.

Great in salads, this herb soothes nervous tension and anxiety, promotes sleep, and speeds the healing of cold sores.

Of all of the herbs, parsley is the one I’m least fond of when it comes to taste. However, I eat it because it’s so good for us. It’s great for the immune system, helps flush excess fluid from the body, heals the nervous system and tones the bones. It’s also a powerful breath freshener.

Rosemary contains caffeic acid and rosmarinic acid, both of which are potent antioxidants as well as anti-inflammatory agents. Rosemary is also a good source of antioxidant vitamin E (alpha tocopherol) and other important antioxidants. Adding rosemary to your cooked meat will help reduce carcinogens. Rosemary is a hardy perennial that copes well with drought and poor soils, but it prefers slightly alkaline soils.

This is such a versatile herb. I love it in salads, stir fry, smoothies, juices, and desserts. Mint is awesome for digestion and is a great mouth freshener. Mint grows like wildfire, so always keep it in a separate pot to your other herbs. I also love other herbs I the mint family like peppermint and chocolate mint.

Containing vitamins A, B, C and minerals like calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron. This herb powerful when it comes to healing the digestive system. Click here for a post and video about growing Mother Of Herb. This herb is yummy as a tea.

Explore More