Yoga vs. Pilates
- Both will tone your body, with a focus on abdominals.
- Both have a mind/body focus which requires concentration on movement.
- Both will increase your flexibility
- Both will help your body's alignment.
- Both will encourage you to focus on breath.
- Yoga is typically practiced on a mat or on a comfortable surrounding, like the beach. Pilates can be practiced on a Pilates machine or a mat.
- Yoga classes are typically 60-90 minutes. Pilates classes are typically 60 minutes.
- Yoga has a more of a body/spiritual focus. Pilates has more of a body/fitness focus.
- Yoga will increase your range of motion, sense of well-being, and can reduce stress. Pilates will strengthen your "core" (your abs, torso, and lower spine) and will help you develop long and lean muscles.
- Yoga will help you learn to control your breath. Pilates will help you learn to better control your posture.
- If you're looking for a blend of mind, body, and spirit well-being, then yoga is for you.
- If you're looking for a lean and fit body, without the spiritual component, then Pilates might be more up your alley.
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.