This Celeb Chef Created Vegan Cinnamon Roll Pancakes & It's Our New Favorite Weekend Breakfast
Chloe Coscarelli is the chef behind some of the most decadent, delicious vegan food around. After becoming the first vegan chef to win the Food Network’s cupcake wars, she released three vegan cookbooks and cooked all over the country (including the prestigious James Beard House). Her new cookbook, Chloe Flavor: Saucy, Crispy, Spicy, Vegan, focuses on easy-to-make dishes with bold flavors and textures, perfect for vegans and non-vegans alike. These cinnamon roll pancakes are just one of the many drool-worthy inclusions.
Vegan Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
My mom makes the best cinnamon rolls in the world. I make amazing pancakes. We have joined forces, and together we present: Cinnamon Roll Pancakes! Take one bite of this vegan brunch hybrid, and you’ll never need to wait in line for a Cronut again.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons vegan margarine or refined coconut oil, at room temperature
- 5 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Avocado oil, for greasing
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup water
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the almond milk and maple syrup. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk to combine. Do not overmix.
- In a small bowl, mix together the margarine, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Transfer to a pastry bag or plastic zip-top bag and snip off one corner.
- Lightly grease a large nonstick skillet or griddle and heat over medium heat. When the pan shimmers, measure out ¼ cup of the batter (or eyeball it) and pour it onto the skillet. Pipe a circular swirl of the cinnamon mixture into the batter. Repeat to fill the skillet. When small bubbles appear in the center of the pancakes, after about 4 minutes, flip. Cook on the other side for about 1 minute more, until lightly browned and cooked through. Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more oil to the skillet between batches as needed.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze: In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar and water and whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle the pancakes with the glaze and serve.
Based on excerpts from Chloe Flavor: Saucy, Crispy, Spicy, Vegan by Chloe Coscarelli, with the permission of Clarkson Potter, a division of Penguin Random House. Copyright © 2018.