This Superfood Soup Will Boost Your Immunity & Is A Breeze To Make
There's nothing better than making a healthy soup with minimal cleanup. Amy Rains, a nutritionist, mother of two, and author of the new cookbook One-Pot Gluten-Free Cooking, is passionate about feeding her family meals that feature nutritious, whole foods but also allow her to spend as much time with them as possible (think easy prep and minimal cleanup). Her new cookbook features delicious, gluten-free recipes that can be made in under 30 minutes and with one pot.
Her black bean and sweet potato soup includes turmeric, which is known to fight inflammation, boost your immune system, and alleviate joint pain. In this superfood soup you'll also find avocado oil, a healthy fat associated with anti-aging benefits as well as sweet potatoes, which are high in magnesium, known to promote relaxation, and fiber that helps to support healthy bacteria in the gut.
You'll feel good knowing you're nourishing yourself and your family with healthy ingredients, and there's no need to dread the cleanup.
Turmeric Black Bean & Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon (10 g) finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cups (270 g) diced sweet potatoes
- 2 (14-ounce [399-g]) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce [399-g]) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 teaspoons (4 g) ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 3 cups (700 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 cup (240 ml) full-fat coconut milk
- Juice of 2 limes
- ¼ cup (4 g) chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat a large stockpot to medium heat. Coat the bottom with oil, then toss in the onion, ginger, and sweet potatoes. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the black beans, tomatoes with liquid, turmeric, cumin, and salt. Stir until the ingredients are combined, then add your vegetable broth.
- Bring the soup to a slight boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, letting the flavors develop. Pour in the coconut milk and stir so that it melts in the soup. Add the juice of the limes to the pot.
- Serve hot, and top with fresh cilantro and more salt to taste.
And do you want to know if you should you go Keto? Paleo? Whole 30? Deciding what to eat to feel your best shouldn’t be complicated. We’ve removed the guesswork to give you all the best nutrition tips & tools, all in one place. Ready to kickstart your health journey? We’re here to guide you.