After spending a month in Bali this year, I've developed a major passion for raw plant-based foods and desserts in their natural, most nutrient-dense form. As a self-proclaimed chocoholic, it's pretty amazing to be able to indulge in a dessert knowing it's chock-full of nutrients that will energize, nourish, and satiate me. And what I love about raw food is that it takes neither a lot of effort nor many ingredients to make it tasty—it's more about knowing the right combination of flavors and keeping things simple.
Today I'm sharing my very favorite raw dehydrated snack recipe with you: Salt-Oil-Sugar Free Raw Choco-Tahini Granola. My dehydrator lets me play around with making the raw desserts I discovered in Bali in the comfort of my own kitchen. If you're looking for a dehydrator to get into the raw food life, you can find one that's functional, high-quality, and affordable at Kohl's, where I got mine. This dehydrator's also incredibly versatile and something you can easily add into your everyday life.
I especially love this granola (RAW-nola, if you will!) because it fuels me for my workouts, from yoga to running to hiking. Now that summer's in full swing, I'm spending as much time as possible outside, and raw foods are the perfect snack to pack for the beach or a hike. And I love that I can stock up on everything I need so conveniently at Kohl's—from affordable summer workout clothes (I've been living in this Nike sports bra, top, and shorts I found there recently) to a dehydrator for making nutritious snacks for my travels and day-to-day wellness routine. This granola fits right in with my healthy lifestyle since I'm on a very low-intensity exercise regimen due to my health right now. I'm putting all of my energy and focus into my health to feel as good as I possibly can. Ready for the recipe?
Salt-Oil-Sugar Free Raw Choco-Tahini Granola
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- ¼ cup tahini
- 4 to 5 Medjool dates, chopped and pitted
- ¼ cup unsalted cashews, chopped or whole
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Heat the dehydrator to 110°F, and set it on a 6-hour timer.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl, covering everything evenly.
- Place the mixture in a high-speed blender and pulse for a few seconds, just enough to turn the granola into a crumble, but before it reaches a powder-like consistency. (I pulsed about 3 times for 5 seconds each, mixing it around each time.)
- Once the consistency is to your liking, place the granola into the dehydrator and let it slowly crisp for 6 hours. If it's not crispy enough for you, keep it in for another few hours. It's all about personal preference.
- Store in an airtight container in your pantry (or fridge if you're a cold granola kind of person), and it will last for up to three weeks. I love to add this to smoothies or eat it with fruit with the granola as the main dish!
By the way, the reason this raw-nola is salt-, oil-, and sugar-free is because I'm currently following the SOS-free dietary plan for anti-inflammatory purposes—with my chronic illness and other health conditions, it's important to do what works for me. I always encourage you to find what works for you, so if you want to add some sea salt to your granola or a little coconut oil, go for it! Let me know how it tastes if you do, and be sure to check out Kohl's for all your wellness needs this season!