A Better Snack: Beet & Sweet Potato Chips
Blogger, photographer, and recipe developer Ilona Oppenheim's new cookbook Savor: Rustic Recipes Inspired by Forest, Field, and Farm, is as beautiful as it is helpful. Today we have a recipe from Savor that will surely take your snacking to the next level: homemade root-vegetable chips. Simple, healthy, and gorgeously jewel-toned, you'll want to ditch the packaged stuff for good.
If you leave the peel on the vegetables, these potato chip substitutes will retain the extra nutritional benefits found in the veggie skins. These chips are best served on the day they’re made, but they will stay fresh for about three days in an airtight container. Give them to your kids for an after-school treat, but grown-ups will be tempted to snack on them, too.
Root vegetable chips
- 2 medium beets, scrubbed and tops removed
- 1 sweet potato, scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 250°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Slice the vegetables about ⅛ inch thick. Use a mandoline, if you have one, to create even pieces. Place the beet slices in one bowl and the sweet potatoes in another.
3. Divide the olive oil and salt between the bowls and toss the slices to coat. Place on the prepared baking sheets without letting the slices touch.
4. Place the baking sheets in the oven. Rotate the pans after 1 hour and continue to bake until crisp, a total of 1 hour, 50 minutes to 2 hours for the beets and 1 hour, 40 minutes for the sweet potatoes. Transfer the chips to a large bowl and serve immediately. Leftovers will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
I am not a trained chef, but simply a mother who loves to cook for family and friends. My blog, Savor the World shows an attainable, wholesome lifestyle. I encourage you to know where your food comes from and connect to your food sources—something that’s difficult to do when you buy shrink-wrapped packaged foods at the supermarket. So buy fresh and buy local, and engage everyone in your family in the adventure of cooking and nourishment. Savor life and connect to the land wherever you are.