Perfect Protein-Packed Wholesome Millet Burgers
Summer is officially over and autumn is already here! It seems to me that a couple of months aren't long enough to enjoy all the fun summer barbecues. While it may be time to pack up our outdoor grills, who says we still can't enjoy some of our favorite summer foods indoors?
Put your indoor grills and griddles to some good use! And since I'm all about savoring some summer fun, here is a healthy twist on a veggie burger that's sure to excite your taste buds!
Wholesome Millet Burgers
- 1 cup millet
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup cooked adzuki beans roughly mashed (you can also substitute with any type of beans on hand)
- 1/2 small chopped onion
- 2-3 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 large egg or egg substitute (1 tbsp. flax meal with 5 tbsp. water)
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 1 tsp. ketchup
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs (store bought or homemade)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh or dried rosemary or thyme
- Prepare millet according to package directions. Substitute water with vegetable broth for some added flavor.
- Note: You can also use leftovers from my Millet Pilaf recipe.
- Prepare brown rice according to package directions. Substitute water with vegetable broth for some added flavor. You can also use any leftover brown rice you may have on hand.
- In a pan, on medium heat, sauté' onions and garlic for about a minute.
- Add celery and continue to cook for a minute or two until celery is translucent.
- Now add the corn and peas and toss them around for an additional minute.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a big bowl mix millet, rice, beans and rest of the cooked ingredients.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg. Pour into the big bowl of ingredients above.
- Add mustard, ketchup, herbs, salt and pepper. Mix all ingredients.
- Lastly, add the bread crumbs and fold a few times. I use my hands to mix everything gently as it is easier, mixes evenly and does not make the mixture too mushy.
- Take a small scoop of the prepared mix and form into small to medium sized, tight burger patties.
- Heat your griddle pan to medium heat. Season the surface with oil.
- Now place the burger gently on one side. Let cook for 3-4 minutes. It will start to brown.
- Flip to the other side and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- That's it! You can have this burger over a healthy green salad, or with any burger bun of your choice. It's the perfect burger to devour this season as we enjoy the beautiful bounty of autumn colors.
Preeti Gundecha is a busy mom, a wife and a health enthusiast who has learned the importance of proper health and nutrition while trying to heal from severe illness. She is a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach who is passionate about sharing her learning and her life’s experiences to help others. Her philosophy is: there is more to good health than what you eat. Health is the nourishment of the mind, body and soul, and finding your unique balance in between. When you put your heart to it, anything is possible, including great health! Just remember to take it one step at a time.
To learn more about Preeti’s journey, connect with her via Facebook or through her website.