Gluten-Free Recipe: Peanut Butter Cookies
A sucker for anything peanut butter, these cookies do not disappoint. The first time I made tried this recipe we had a handyman at the house and offered him a cookie. He did ask, "What weird stuff is in it?" before taking a bite.
He took a bite and said, "They taste like regular peanut butter cookies." When I told him that they didn't have eggs, butter or refined sugar he shrugged his shoulders and said, "Hmm, I'd never know!" and asked for another.
The flax acts as the binder and provides fiber, the coconut sugar gives it a richer flavor and won't deplete minerals from your body like refined sugar and, if you add in the chocolate chips you get what I think is a perfect combination!
Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookies
Makes 12-16 cookies
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed (or flax meal)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup all natural peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup gluten-free chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Prepare baking sheets by lining with parchment paper or silpat mats.
- In a small bowl, combine flax seed and water. Let sit 3-5 minutes (it will get gelatinous).
- Combine coconut sugar and peanut butter in the bowl of the stand mixer (or electric mixer). Beat on medium until combined well. Add flax seed and mix until combined. Add vanilla and baking soda. Beat on medium until combined well.
- Scoop dough onto prepared cookie sheet with a 1-tablespoon scoop or using a teaspoon scoop a heaping teaspoon.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a cookie sheet for 3 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Heather is a life coach, chef, writer, and wellness expert and the owner of SmartSexyLiving.com, a coaching company that helps women increase their energy, elevate their moods and release excess weight through natural solutions so that they can have the body and life that they love. Unable to eat gluten, dairy, refined sugar and other foods herself, Heather took co-founded the country's first bakery that is 100 percent free of Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Soy, Corn & Refined Sugar.
She's been featured on The Food Network's "Cupcake Wars" and on The Cooking Channel's "Food (ography)" and "Unique Sweets". Heather also wrote Smart Sexy Sweets: Decadent Desserts That Happen To Be Free Of Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Soy, Corn, Nuts & Refined Sugar.
Photo by Noelle Roberts Photography