The Superfood-Packed Guacamole You Never Knew You Needed
As if guacamole needed any help on the health front. Yes, that's right, it's already good for you, but this version has added goodness from the super-nutritious kale, edamame, and pumpkin seeds to make it a really healthy snack.
Warning: Fennel and chili make pita chips dangerously addictive, so you may need to use some willpower. You can also make the pita crisps with gluten-free pitas or serve with crudités.
Serves 4 to 6
For the fennel and chili pita chips
- 3 whole-wheat pita rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, plus extra for the guacamole
- A large pinch dried red chili flakes
For the guacamole
- 2⁄3 cup frozen edamame beans
- 1 cup kale
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds, toasted (optional)
1. First make the pita chips: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut the pitas in half horizontally to make two thin layers from each one. Cut each of these into rough triangles. Spread out on two large baking sheets and drizzle with the oil. Toss to coat.
2. Crush the fennel seeds with the sea salt and chili flakes and sprinkle evenly over the pita triangles.
3. Bake for about 8 minutes or until crisp.
4. For the guacamole, put the edamame and kale in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 3 minutes, then drain and run under the cold tap.
5. Drain thoroughly, then transfer to a food processor to coarsely chop, or do this by hand.
6. Put the garlic, lemon juice, and zest into a bowl. Coarsely chop the avocado flesh, mash with a fork, and then add this to the bowl along with the kale and edamame (or add this to the food processor and pulse briefly to combine). Add a generous pinch of salt, to taste, and mix well.
7. Sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds before serving with the pita chips.
Recipe excerpted from The Goodness of Avocado by Lucy Jessop.
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE web class with nutrition expert Kelly LeVeque.