3 Warm Spiced Milks & Why They’re Good for You
If like me, as a child, you had a warm glass of milk every night, you'll remember that warm comforting feeling just before a good night’s sleep.
As adults, warm milk is rarely a drink of choice but, in the age of nut milks and other nondairy milks, it’s time to revive the habit of drinking warm milk, especially when flavored with health-supporting ingredients like spices.
Great for eye health and a known antioxidant, saffron is the most expensive spice in the world.
Saffron contains three key chemical compounds:
- Crocin, which infuses color into food
- Safranal, which gives saffron its honey aroma
- Picocrocin, which gives it its subtle sweet flavor
You know you have the best saffron when all three compounds are present in high numbers.
- 1 cup of milk of your choice (this works well with coconut, almond, or dairy milk)
- pinch of good saffron, crushed in the palms of your hand to make it go further
1. Warm a little water, add the saffron threads, and leave for about 10 to 15 minutes to infuse the water.
2. Add the water and threads and milk to a pan and warm through on a low heat. Enjoy immediately.
Turmeric is well-known for its numerous healing benefits and for being a powerful anti-inflammatory agent.
Turmeric works wonders at keeping inflammation down in all parts of our bodies and boosting our immunity at the same time, which is why people often use it more in the winter months.
Like saffron, turmeric also has a compound that releases color (and health benefits) into food — this is curcumin.
- 1 cup of milk of your choice
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- twist of black pepper
- Coconut oil
1. Melt the coconut oil in a pan on a very low heat, add in the turmeric and black pepper, and stir, warming the turmeric and activating the curcumin for optimal ingestion.
2. Add in the milk and heat all the way through before drinking.
Cinnamon and Star Anise Chocolate Milk
- 1 cup milk of your choice
- ¼ teaspoon pure cocoa (or raw cacao or ⅓ ounce of pure dark chocolate, melted)
- ¼ teaspoon true cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground star anise
1. Blend all the ingredients in a blender.
2. Transfer to a pan and heat all the way through before sipping with a smile on your face.
Using organic ingredients whenever possible is always recommended!