Advertisement
This ad is displayed using third party content and we do not control its accessibility features.
Close Banner
Advertisement
This ad is displayed using third party content and we do not control its accessibility features.

12 Healthy Food Bargains You Can Find At Trader Joe's (Each One's Less Than $6!)

Leah Vanderveldt
Author:
October 22, 2015
Leah Vanderveldt
By Leah Vanderveldt
mbg Contributor
Leah Vanderveldt is an author living in Brooklyn, New York. She received her bachelor’s in communications and media from Fordham University, and is certified in culinary nutrition from the Natural Gourmet Institute. She is the author of two cookbooks: The New Nourishing and The New Porridge.
October 22, 2015

Despite the crazy-long New York City lines, Trader Joe's is one of my favorite places to grocery shop. From the basics to their seasonal specialty products (hello, pumpkin butter), they always keep it fresh, fun, and affordable.

Here's a list a of my favorite (inexpensive) items to stock up on.

1. Precut vegetables & fruit

Butternut squash, shredded kale, and Brussels sprouts and chopped fruit are serious time-savers in the kitchen. These make it easy to whip up a plant-based meal fast.

Price: From $1.99

2. Spices

I'm a sucker for a well-stocked spice cabinet, but this can get pricey. Trader Joe's has a great selection available for cheap.

3. Medjool dates

These caramel-like nuggets are perfect for snacking and blending into energy bars, but often cost around $10 elsewhere.

Price: $4.79

4. Hummus

For all your snacking/mezze platter needs. Great flavor varieties, too — edamame, eggplant, and roasted garlic for the win.

5. Organic dark chocolate

Their creamy, 73% "Super Dark" chocolate bar is my personal favorite. It's great for baking or dessert and doesn't have random additives (such as soy lecithin) like a lot of chocolate bars out there.

Price: $1.99

6. Bags of avocados and lemons

I always have a bunch of avocados and lemons in my kitchen. These bags are much cheaper at TJ's than anywhere else.

Price: Avocados $3.49/ bag of 4 or more
Lemons $1.49/bag of 5 or more

7. Grass-fed butter

Another item that's pricey elsewhere but a great value here.

Price: $4.29

8. Extra-virgin olive oil

I use olive oil almost every day in my kitchen, so I'm always on the lookout for tasty, good-quality stuff that's affordable.

Price: From $5.99

9. Seaweed snacks

Crunchy, salty snacks that are good for you? It's worth a snack-sized try!

Price: From $0.99

10. Nuts and Seeds

Trader Joe's has an exhaustive selection of nuts, seeds, and dried fruit for all your trail mix, granola, and cashew milk experiments.

Price: From $2.99

11. Organic frozen mango

Amazing in smoothies!

Price: $2.49

12. Organic vegetable soups

A great convenience food for a quick lunch or dinner. Mix in spinach and beans to make it a more substantial meal and fancy it up by topping with fresh herbs and toasted nuts.

Price: From $2.99

Photo Credits: Trader Joe's

Cover Photo Credit: Getty Images

Watch Next

Enjoy some of our favorite clips from classes

Watch Next

Enjoy some of our favorite clips from classes

What Is Meditation?

Mindfulness/Spirituality | Light Watkins

Box Breathing

Mindfulness/Spirituality | Gwen Dittmar

What Breathwork Can Address

Mindfulness/Spirituality | Gwen Dittmar

The 8 Limbs of Yoga - What is Asana?

Yoga | Caley Alyssa

Two Standing Postures to Open Up Tight Hips

Yoga | Caley Alyssa

How Plants Can Optimize Athletic Performance

Nutrition | Rich Roll

What to Eat Before a Workout

Nutrition | Rich Roll

How Ayurveda Helps Us Navigate Modern Life

Nutrition | Sahara Rose

Messages About Love & Relationships

Love & Relationships | Esther Perel

Love Languages

Love & Relationships | Esther Perel

Related Videos (10)

What Is Meditation?

Box Breathing

What Breathwork Can Address

The 8 Limbs of Yoga - What is Asana?

Two Standing Postures to Open Up Tight Hips

How Plants Can Optimize Athletic Performance

What to Eat Before a Workout

How Ayurveda Helps Us Navigate Modern Life

Messages About Love & Relationships

Love Languages

Advertisement

More On This Topic

more Mindfulness
Advertisement
Advertisement