Perfect For Fall: Yam, Lentil & Ginger Soup
I love making this soup, and I can’t help but smile as the warming turmeric lends its sunny yellow hue into the pot. Plus it only takes 20 minutes start to finish.
As fall officially begins, this nutritious, vegan-friendly soup is the perfect thing to serve when you're snuggling up on the couch with the biggest blanket you own!
Yam, Lentil & Ginger Soup: Perfect For Fall!
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and picked through
- 5 garnet yams, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp. of fresh turmeric, grated or finely diced
- 4 Tbsp. ginger, grated or finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. of organic coconut oil
- 6 cups of organic chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup of organic coconut milk
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. of salt
- Black pepper to taste
Pick through the lentils, just to make sure that there isn’t any sediment. Those pesky little rocks are no fun on your teeth.
Melt the coconut oil on a medium heat, add in the grated turmeric, ginger and lentils. Sauté for a 3-5 minutes until fragrant, then add in the yams. Toss until well coated and slightly caramelized.
Pour in stock, bring to a gentle boil and then simmer until lentil and yams are soft enough to easily squish with the back of your spoon.
Take the soup off the heat and mix in coconut milk and cilantro.
Season to taste and serve.