When I'm cooking, I love using what's abundant and in season. It tastes so much fresher, and it's typically kinder to my wallet. This kale salad is simply delicious, and so easy to make. Pear, lightly toasted hazelnuts, Brussels sprouts and dried cranberries are perfect for the season. Don't skip the part about massaging your kale — it only takes two minutes and really does make a difference in the texture of the salad.
Seasonal Kale Salad With Pear, Hazelnuts & Cranberries
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Assemble Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Makes 6-8 servings
- 1 bunch kale, prepped according to directions below
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 1 medium pear, cored and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped and lightly toasted according to directions below
- 1/3 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of sea salt
- Goat cheese for topping (optional)
For the kale: Wash, rinse and dry the kale. Remove the long stem that runs the length of the kale, and tear the kale into bite sized pieces. Then, using both hands, massage the kale for about two minutes, until it becomes soft and darker in color.
For the hazelnuts: In a pan, lightly roast the hazelnuts over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes, just until they become fragrant. Be sure to stir them with a wooden spoon a few times to keep them from burning.
To assemble the salad: Toss the kale with the Brussels sprouts, pear, hazelnuts and cranberries. In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, white balsamic vinegar and sea salt, and pour over the salad. Toss to make sure everything is coated. Top each serving with a small amount of goat cheese, if desired.
Want your passion for wellness to change the world? Become A Functional Nutrition Coach! Enroll today to join our upcoming live office hours.