What if a big, colorful bowl of salad took center stage this holiday season? Nothing against turkey, but this Holiday Kale Salad is not only beautiful, it's packed with nutrition. The combination of creamy avocado, crunchy apples, and pumpkin seeds gives it amazing texture while the slight sweetness of the dressing offsets any pungency of the kale. Your guests are sure to gobble it up.
Holiday Kale Salad
Serves 4 as a side
- 1 head kale, rinsed and de-stemmed (I like curly kale for this recipe)
- ½ tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 small green apple, diced
- ½ red onion, finely sliced (or 2 radishes, finely sliced or diced)
- ½ avocado, diced
- ½ cup roasted pumpkin seeds (on any kind of seeds or nuts)
- 4 tbsp raw honey
- 1 lemon, juiced
Chop kale into bite-sized pieces and put in a large bowl.
Sprinkle salt on the kale and with clean hands, begin massaging and squeezing it so it softens.
Massage for a couple minutes, until it has reduced in size and is tender.
Add apples, red onion, avocado and pumpkin seeds to the bowl.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and honey. Pour over the salad and mix gently. Season to taste.
Note: make plenty for leftovers, as this salad will keep for a couple of days in the fridge!
What's your favorite healthy holiday dish?