Our bodies are like rubber bands; the tighter a
rubber band gets on one end, the more it will pull on the other end. And if our fascia becomes stiff, the more we feel that
sticky stiffness in our bodies.
So what I'm saying is: if your hips are tight, your feet will
react, and if your feet are tight, your hips will react, and in the middle are
our poor knees ... do you see where I’m going with this?
How foot pain can cause neck pain:
The toe bones (tarsals) are connected to
tendon, which connects to the heel, which connects to the achillies
tendon, which connects to the hamstring,
which connects to the
(a ligament connecting the sit bones to the sacrum), which connects to the multifidus (a short
muscle spanning 1-3 vertebra), which connects to the erectors (muscles running
from sacrum to the base of the skull), which connect to the occipital bone
(base of skull).
So your foot issue could be causing your neck issue, or your
hip issue. Or hip tightness is causing shoulder pain or heel pain.
8 ways to soothe and remedy foot pain:
1. Take off your shoes. Yes, I know everyone else says keep them on,
but you haven’t allowed you feet do work in the way they are designed to. Ever
met someone from a third world country who has plantar fasciitis?
2. Consider a reflexology appointment. Assessing the feet (and
sometimes calves), pressure points and areas of interest much like a massage
3. Drink more water. When our body is dehydrated, our fascia
becomes sticky and restricted.
4. Learn how to properly stand on your feet. Your feet are aching
for you to listen to them, posture starts at your feet.
5. Taper down. If your goal is to run bare foot and you’ve been
wearing highly supportive shoes, you need to taper down slowly, find someone
who is educated in this process like a chi running coach who can safely guide
6. Try rolling. Some ideas: Mayo Fasica Release (rolling), invest in a foam roller, or an
acuball, and start rolling your feet and hips.
7. Open your hips. Tight hips can often be an issue to foot pain.
Spend a few minutes each day stretching your hips to give your feet a step in
the right direction.
8. Join a yoga class. Not all yoga is created equal, but do
your homework and ask the instructor if he or she is knowledgeable on this
subject and go from there.