A creamy, cool, and colorful coconut milk-based dessert that celebrates the warmer weather. It only takes five simple ingredients to create this treat that will impress any guest while keeping it vegan and gluten-free.
Raspberry, Pistachio + Rose Semifreddo
- Generous ½ cup (75 g) shelled pistachios
- Generous 1 cup (150 g) raspberries, plus extra to serve
- 2 (5½-oz/160-g) cans coconut cream, chilled overnight
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon rose extract
1. Put the pistachios in a bowl, cover with cold water, and let soak for several hours or overnight.
2. Line a small 2½-cup (600 ml) loaf pan or similar-size freezer-proof container with plastic wrap.
3. Coarsely mash the raspberries with a fork. Drain the nuts, then coarsely chop. Scrape off the thick layer of coconut cream into a bowl.
4. Discard 1 tablespoon of the water left in each can, then add the remaining water to the bowl. Beat until thickened and softly peaking. Beat in the agave nectar and rose extract.
5. Gently stir in the pistachios and raspberries and tip the mixture into the prepared pan. Spread the surface level and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight until firmed up.
6. If frozen overnight, transfer the semifreddo to the refrigerator about 1 hour before serving. Invert onto a plate or board and peel away the plastic wrap. Cut into slices and serve scattered with extra raspberries.
Raw Cakes: 30 Delicious, No-Bake, Vegan, Sugar-Free & Gluten-Free Cakes by Joanna Farrow, Spruce 2016, Photo Lis Parsons.
Joanna Farrow is a food writer and home economist, she has also contribute to numerous food magazines and has written a dozens of cookbooks including Ready Steady Cook for Kids, Good Fast Family Food, Cake, and Dress Your Gingerbread.