- Half bag or more of small chopped kale pieces
- One lemon
- Chopped carrots, onion and celery (Use about 1 cup of each.)
- Your favorite fresh herb, chopped. (I like basil or parsley.)
- 6 to 10 cups of organic chicken broth or vegetarian broth.
- Garlic, finely chopped
- Bay leaf
- Dash of turmeric
- Sea salt and peppercorns to taste
- Olive or grapeseed oil
- Optional add-in: organic chicken
- Optional add-in: red quinoa or wheat fusilli pasta (For the pasta, use 100% semolina durum flour if possible.)
On low heat, warm oil in soup pot, then add garlic.
Let cook 2-3 minutes.
Add chopped carrots, onions and celery.
Cook on low for 5-10 min.
Add broth, bay leaf, fresh herb and dash of turmeric.
Squeeze in juice of lemon to taste.
Let cook for 45 minutes.
Add kale 10 minutes before serving.
Grind in sea salt and peppercorns.
OPTIONAL ADD-INS (Add in with the kale, 10 minutes before serving)
Cooked red quinoa or wheat fusilli pasta, cooked al dente.
I don't like to cook quinoa or pasta with the soup because they can get mushy. So I like to cook them separately and then add in 10 minutes before serving, to let them simmer.
Another option is to freeze the kale part of the soup, then you can always add in cooked pasta or quinoa later, making it taste fresher.
Poached organic chicken, submerged in simmering broth and bay leaf for 10-15 minutes, leaving to stand for 15 minutes.