Gluten-Free Recipe: Chocolate Chip & Blueberry Cookies
As a diagnosed celiac, I've been eating gluten free for years. The gluten-free world has come leaps and bounds, with general awareness on the rise and more and more companies offering new gluten-free options. The problem, though, is that these options are often no better than the gluten-filled versions, as they’re made with dairy, refined grains, and refined sugars.
With that in mind, and knowing that no gluten-free person wants to feel deprived, I want to share a gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, egg-free cookie recipe that is absolutely to die for! The cookies are incredibly moist, and will not cause the usual stomach upset and ill effects of regular cookies.
Chocolate Chip & Blueberry Cookies
Makes 12-14 cookies
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup gluten free oats (I used food processor to pulse into smaller pieces; may substitute quinoa flour instead of oats)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch of sea salt
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- ½ cup blueberries thawed, not frozen
- ¾ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, measured in solid form
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Melt coconut oil over low heat and set aside.
- Mix first 4 dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix first 3 wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together.
- Gently mix in chocolate chips and blueberries.
- Lightly stir in coconut oil to batter until it’s fully mixed in.
- Form cookies into a packed ball (about 2 TBSP/cookie).
- This part is important as if you don’t form into a ball they can be crumbly.
- Place cookies on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until you can stick a toothpick in, and no batter comes out on the toothpick.
- Let cool before removing from baking sheet.
Mandy King, CNP, is a Holistic Nutritionist and the founder of HEAL. Click here to get a copy of her free energy boosting meal plan and click here to learn more about her upcoming Wellness Challenge. Mandy helps health conscious women who want to take control of their health to stop feeling tired, fix their digestion and lose the weight once and for all. She helps them create a lasting, lifestyle change that not only helps them look good, but feel good and have the energy to do what matters most.