Fudgy Brownies With Fall Spices
As soon as the weather cools this time of year, even just slightly, I get excited about sweaters, pumpkins, blankets, and warm spices. I sip on chai tea and add spices to my coffee, and think about making healthier, warm, baked goods. These brownies are the perfect combinations of all of these fantastic fall things.
They're full of spices that will remind you of chai, and are a bit healthier than regular brownies — using healthier sugar and fats, as well as whole grain flours like teff, and fiber-rich black beans. They are the perfect dessert to spice up your fall.
Fall Fudge Brownies
Makes approximately 12-16 brownies
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plain coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup teff flour
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom
- A big pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Melt 1/3 of the chocolate chips with coconut milk in a double boiler, stirring frequently. Drain and rinse your black beans and blend them until pureed. Set aside in a bowl.
- Add oil and the remaining whole chocolate chips to your blender and blend until they start to combine. Add the eggs, melted chocolate chips, coconut sugar, vanilla, salt and spices to your blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add in the black beans and puree again. Add in the flour slowly (one at a time) and blend until combined. Pour into a brownie pan or two bread pans, ether greased or lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before cutting and serving.
Jessi Andricks, author of Detox 101, is an emerging leader in the field of healthy, holistic living. Through her training in health coaching, yoga, and mind-body fitness, she's able to blend together the best of all worlds to create innovative online wellness and detox programs, such as her latest programs 21 Day Modern Detox and The Flourish Lifestyle Course. Jessi fuses together clean eating basics, empowering fitness techniques, and expert wellness tips to help clients live the happier, healthier lives. Get in touch with Jessi at jessiandricks.com or thehouseofhealthy.com, follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and look for her book, Detox 101, now available in stores and online.