Looking for three healthy snacks that are gluten-free, allergy-friendly, paleo and detox-approved? Enjoy one of these dips with a flax cracker, celery sticks, red pepper slices for an afternoon snack. Snack healthy and kick the afternoon exhaustion to the curb.
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped￼
- 2 avocados
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- sea salt + black pepper to taste
- dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Split the avocado in half and twist apart. Remove the pit. Scoop out the avocado meat with a spoon into a bowl. Add the red onion, garlic, cumin, salt, black pepper and cayenne (optional). Mash with a fork.
2. Add chopped tomato and cilantro. Mix thoroughly and serve immediately. Note: It is best to serve the guacamole immediately. However if you plan to serve the guacamole within the hour, squeeze a bit of lemon juice to retain the bright green color of the avocado.
Pumpkin Seed Pate
- ￼2/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds, soaked for 8 hours
- 1 scallion
- 1 large celery rib
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large lettuce leaf to use as a wrap (romaine, butter leaf, radicchio, etc.)
1. Add the pumpkin seeds, scallion, celery, garlic, thyme, sea salt, black pepper, lemon zest and juice, and extra virgin olive oil to a blender. Blend until well incorporated.
2. Assemble the wrap: Add 2 teaspoons of pâté to a lettuce leaf. Top with suggested pâté toppings. Roll and serve immediately. Suggested pâté toppings: shredded carrot, sliced avocado, sliced red pepper, chopped red onion, sliced cucumber, sprouts.￼
- ￼1 cup washed, loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, cilantro, or mint
- 2 sundried tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup quality, cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- sea salt, to taste
1. Combine the basil, parsley, sundried tomatoes, garlic, and lemon juice in a food processor bowl; pulse and process the mixture until it is finely chopped. Slowly add extra virgin olive oil in a steady drizzle as you pulse the processor on and off. Process until it becomes a smooth, light paste. Add enough olive oil to keep it moist and spreadable. Season with sea salt.
2. Cover tightly and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to saturate the flavors. If storing overnight, pour a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil over the top of the pesto to help keep it bright green.
Rachel Feldman is a health coach, digestive wellness expert, and detox specialist. Based in Boca Raton, Florida, Rachel assists clients nationwide via phone, email and Skype. Rachel helps men and women struggling with weight gain, digestive issues and toxicity. Rachel graduated from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition in New York City, Wild Rose Natural College of Healing, and International School of Detoxification Level 1 & 2 and certified by the American Association of Drugless Practitioners. Her approach to health focuses on the foods you put into your mouth and incorporates the elements of body, mind and soul. She helps her clients to access the blueprint for their health by discovering what foods fuel the body. Her signature Detox & Cleanse is based on the elimination diet. It helps to uncover hidden food intolerances, restore gut health and teach people simple ways to detox the body daily. Visit www.rachelswellness.com.