Vegan Recipe: Springtime Carrot Slaw
Here's a recipe for my springtime carrot slaw; it's a quick and easy, vegan recipe that the entire family will enjoy. Serve it cold or at room temperature.
- 1 full head of red cabbage
- 1 full head of green cabbage
- Fresh apples (I like Fuji because they're sweet, but you can use any variety)
- 2-3 lbs of fresh carrots
- Juice of 1 lemon (squeeze fresh lemon juice over apples to prevent oxidation)
- 1-2 cups dried cranberries (dried cherries, dates, or raisins work too)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup champagne vinegar
- 3-4 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Julienne or shred the cabbage and carrots, then toss cabbage, julienned apples, and cranberries together in a large bowl. Use a whisk to combine the dressing in a different bowl. Pour the dressing over the ingredients and toss well. Sprinkle with walnuts.
This recipe makes A LOT of slaw. You could easily half it. Also, I sometimes sprinkle a bit more vinegar if you think it looks dry because it makes so much that you have to use two bowls to mix it.
Want to learn how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.