Vegan Recipe: Springtime Carrot Slaw
Here's a recipe for my springtime carrot slaw; it's a quick and easy, vegan recipe that the entire family will enjoy. Serve it cold or at room temperature.
- 1 full head of red cabbage
- 1 full head of green cabbage
- Fresh apples (I like Fuji because they're sweet, but you can use any variety)
- 2-3 lbs of fresh carrots
- Juice of 1 lemon (squeeze fresh lemon juice over apples to prevent oxidation)
- 1-2 cups dried cranberries (dried cherries, dates, or raisins work too)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup champagne vinegar
- 3-4 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Julienne or shred the cabbage and carrots, then toss cabbage, julienned apples, and cranberries together in a large bowl. Use a whisk to combine the dressing in a different bowl. Pour the dressing over the ingredients and toss well. Sprinkle with walnuts.
This recipe makes A LOT of slaw. You could easily half it. Also, I sometimes sprinkle a bit more vinegar if you think it looks dry because it makes so much that you have to use two bowls to mix it.