A Cleansing Soup To Reset Your Digestive System
Looking for a simple way to pack in some extra vitamins, fiber, and protein while giving your digestive system a little love? The Ultimate Soup Cleanse cookbook is all about giving you the tools to easily and enjoyably reset your body with nourishing and nutritious foods—which is what we could all use a little more of this time of year, right?
The vegetables in this soup have diuretic properties that help eliminate excess water in the body, or "damp," as Chinese medicine aptly describes it.
Leek, Fennel, Celery with Lentils
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 celery heart (keep the outer stalks for stock), cut into small pieces
- Inner leaves of 1 fennel bulb (keep the outer part for stock), cut into small pieces
- 1 cup hot vegetable stock
- 3⁄4 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1⁄2 preserved lemon, finely chopped 2 slices rye toast, for serving
1. Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the leek, celery, and fennel and sauté until soft, 10 to 12 minutes.
2. Add the hot stock and lentils, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes. Add the preserved lemon, stir to combine, then remove the pot from the heat.
3. Ideally, allow the soup to sit overnight, as it improves as the flavors infuse. To serve, reheat and accompany with a slice of rye toast.
And do you want your passion for wellness to change the world? Become A Functional Nutrition Coach! Enroll today to join our upcoming live office hours.