Healthy Comfort Food: Sweet Potato Noodles With Kale + Creamy Cashew Sauce
The sweet potato, kale, and onion combo is one of my favorites in general, but the addition of the Cheesy Cashew Cream takes this dish to a whole new level of yum! Plus, it adds a little protein and plenty of healthy fats to the carbohydrates in the base, which is a winning combo for keeping you satisfied.
Sweet Potato Noodles with Kale, Onion + "Cheese" Sauce
Serves 4 to 6
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) olive oil
- ½ cup (50 g) yellow onion, finely chopped
- 6 cups (120 g) kale, roughly chopped
- 1½ cups Cheesy Cashew Cream
1. Spiralize the sweet potatoes into thin, spaghetti-like noodles.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add in the onion and kale.
3. Sauté until the onions start to soften and the kale begins to wilt, about 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add the sweet potato noodles and continue to sauté until noodles are al dente, about 7 to 8 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and add the Cheesy Cashew Cream. Stir to combine.
Tip: Not a kale fan? Try spinach or arugula in its place!
Cheesy Cashew Cream
It's OK if you want to bathe in this cashew cream, really. It's soft, creamy, and delicious with a "cheesy" essence that will have you addicted in no time.
Makes about 3 cups
- 2 cups (225 g) raw cashews
- 3¼ cups (300 mL) water, divided
- ¼ cup (20 g) Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup (15 g) nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Pepper to taste
1. Soak the cashews in 2 cups (480 mL) of water for at least 2 hours (overnight is best if you have the time).
2. Drain the cashews, then add them to a food processor along with the remaining water, Dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper, and blend on high until very smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Tip: You can make this sauce without soaking the cashews at all if you're in a pinch. It won't be quite as creamy, but it will be just as delicious!
Excerpted from Real Food, Real Simple, on sale now.