A Nutritionist's Take On Our Favorite, Fudgy Summer Treat
We love super-smart nutritionist and healthy food blogger McKel Hill and her approach to cooking. Today we're sharing a recipe from her new cookbook, Nutrition Stripped, to help you lean into the end-of-summer heat.
Paletas are a kind of ice pop and are essential summer treats no matter what time of day.
All you need is a high-speed blender and an ice-pop mold. This recipe is similar to a Fudgsicle but contains none of the heavy cream and refined sugars. The star ingredient is avocado — and the result is a beautiful thing!
Chocolate Fudge Paletas
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 2 avocados
- Pinch of sea salt
1. In a small saucepan, heat the coconut milk, cocoa powder, maple syrup, and instant espresso over medium heat, stirring to combine. Pour this mixture into a high-speed blender, add the avocado flesh and the salt, and blend until smooth. Adjust the salt and maple syrup to taste.
2. Pour the mixture into ice pop molds, leaving about a ¼-inch space at the top. Place the mold covering on top, and gently slide a wooden ice-pop stick into each opening. Freeze overnight.
3. To serve, run the molds under hot water just enough to loosen the paletas, and enjoy.
From Nutrition Stripped by McKel Hill, MS, RDN. Copyright © 2016 by McKel Hill. Reprinted by permission of William Morrow, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.
And are you ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE web class with nutrition expert Kelly LeVeque.