This Anti-inflammatory Beet + Cherry Smoothie Also Supports Your Liver
This dark purple, cacao-laced smoothie has a pleasing combination of earthy, rich, and zesty ingredients. It is filled with inflammation-fighting ginger and beet to give your body the vitamins and minerals it needs to reboot and refuel.
Beet + Cherry Smoothie
- Scant ¼ cup hazelnuts, almonds, or cashews
- ¾ cup frozen cherries
- ½-inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1 cup nut milk
- 1 beet, peeled and chopped
- ½ banana, frozen
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 heaping tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons hemp protein (optional, for a post-exercise pick-me-up)
- Small handful of oats (optional, for a more filling breakfast smoothie)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Spread the hazelnuts out on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 15 minutes, then transfer to a blender. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Serve and enjoy!
Reprinted with permission from The Naked Cookbook, by Tess Ward, copyright 2015. Published in the US by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.