A Quick Grass-Fed Steak Recipe To Make Tonight
I’ve always liked the quick, convenient nature of this dish, which is great for lunch or dinner. You could also use a strip steak for convenience or put the herb butter on a ribeye.
Check out what I eat in a typical day here.
Hanger Steak and Herb Butter
- 1 hanger steak (½ pound)
- 1 tablespoon Bulletproof Brain Octane oil (or MCT or coconut oil)
- 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) grass-fed unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 2 tablespoons mixed chopped fresh herbs (oregano, thyme, or rosemary)
- Sea salt
- 3 cups (about 3 ounces) spinach
1. Rub the steak with the Brain Octane oil and set aside. Grate 2 teaspoons of zest from the lemon. Halve the lemon and cut into wedges. Squeeze out 1 teaspoon of juice and set the remaining lemon wedges aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine the lemon zest, butter, chives, herbs, and 1 teaspoon sea salt, stirring well to combine and create a compound butter. Stir in the lemon juice.
3. Heat a grill pan over (or fire up your grill to) medium-high heat. Season the steak with sea salt, place on the grill, and reduce the heat to medium-low.
4. Cook, taking care not to char the meat, for 5 to 6 minutes per side for rare, 6 to 7 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer the steak to a plate, top with 2½ tablespoons compound butter (reserve remaining compound butter for another use), and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
5. Slice the steak thinly across the grain, and serve with the spinach, topping with meat juices and a squeeze of lemon.
Reprinted from Bulletproof: The Cookbook by Dave Asprey. Copyright © 2015 by Dave Asprey. By permission of Rodale Books. Available wherever books are sold.
And are you ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.