Another Reason To Eat Dessert For Breakfast: Banana Cream Custard
Our family discovered that old-school cooking traditions can become delicious solutions to many modern-day health dilemmas.
We went back to the tradition of lacto-fermenting our vegetables and enjoying a Sunday roast with meat and three vegetables. Desserts are simplified, fruit-based, and delicious. And breakfast is warm, filling, and simple.
This little treat is a perfect (dairy- and egg-free) way to warm up on a cold morning. Your whole house will smell deliciously of banana and vanilla. Yum.
You can prepare this in advance and reheat or whip it up and put it in the oven first thing.
Banana Cream Breakfast Custards
- 2 ripe bananas chopped roughly
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 vanilla pod, scraped
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons gelatin powder, dissolved in 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 teaspoon raw honey (add more as desired)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
1. Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Blend ingredients together with a stick mixer and pour into ramekins.
2. Sprinkle with more cinnamon and bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Extra tip: If you want to include eggs, you can add them to this recipe with beautiful results. Whisk four eggs with the ingredients above for an even more decadent custard.
This recipe was excerpted from The Alchemy Cookbook.
And do you want to learn how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.