If you tell people the ingredients used to make this dish, they're likely to opt out of having any dessert.
Yes, avocado in a sweet dish does seem strange, but here it acts as a deliciously thick cream to bring the dark, bitter cacao and spicy ginger flavors together, resulting in a very sophisticated-tasting mousse.
Raw Cacao, Ginger + Avocado Mousse
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 avocados
- 1 vanilla pod, split open lengthways
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons coconut water
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons runny honey
1. Put the coconut oil in a small pan and heat gently for 5 minutes until melted. Remove from the heat.
2. While the coconut oil is melting, slice the avocados in half and remove the pits. Scrape all the flesh into a blender or food processor. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod and add to the blender.
3. Add the grated ginger and coconut water and blitz until smooth. Now add the coconut oil along with the raw cacao powder and honey. Blitz for 2 minutes until completely smooth. (If you don’t have a blender you can mix everything together by hand although the texture may not be as smooth.)
4. Spoon the mixture into four small ramekins or dessert glasses and leave to set in the fridge for 1–2 hours before serving.