Looking for a delicious, homemade, dairy-free alternative to cheese? This recipe not only tastes great but it's full of protein and vitamin B12 as well.
Vegan Cashew Cheese
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked at least 4 hours
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- water, added as needed
- dry herbs of choice (optional)
- Drain and rinse cashews.
- Combine all ingredients in blender or food processor until smooth. Add just enough water to help things blend smoothly.
- Line a strainer with cheesecloth. Pour cheese mixture over cheesecloth. Place in refrigerator and let sit overnight.
- Form mixture into two rolls. For a flavored cheese, roll the cheese in whatever dry herbs you desire. Place rolls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 250°, until edges are firm and slightly darkened. Let cool completely before enjoying.
Photo Credit: Stocksy