3 Detox-Friendly Snacks To Help You Get Clean For Spring
Looking for three healthy snacks that are gluten-free, allergy-friendly, paleo and detox-approved? Enjoy one of these dips with a flax cracker, celery sticks, red pepper slices for an afternoon snack. Snack healthy and kick the afternoon exhaustion to the curb.
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped￼
- 2 avocados
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- sea salt + black pepper to taste
- dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Split the avocado in half and twist apart. Remove the pit. Scoop out the avocado meat with a spoon into a bowl. Add the red onion, garlic, cumin, salt, black pepper and cayenne (optional). Mash with a fork.
2. Add chopped tomato and cilantro. Mix thoroughly and serve immediately. Note: It is best to serve the guacamole immediately. However if you plan to serve the guacamole within the hour, squeeze a bit of lemon juice to retain the bright green color of the avocado.
Pumpkin Seed Pate
- ￼2/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds, soaked for 8 hours
- 1 scallion
- 1 large celery rib
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large lettuce leaf to use as a wrap (romaine, butter leaf, radicchio, etc.)
1. Add the pumpkin seeds, scallion, celery, garlic, thyme, sea salt, black pepper, lemon zest and juice, and extra virgin olive oil to a blender. Blend until well incorporated.
2. Assemble the wrap: Add 2 teaspoons of pâté to a lettuce leaf. Top with suggested pâté toppings. Roll and serve immediately. Suggested pâté toppings: shredded carrot, sliced avocado, sliced red pepper, chopped red onion, sliced cucumber, sprouts.￼
- ￼1 cup washed, loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, cilantro, or mint
- 2 sundried tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup quality, cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- sea salt, to taste
1. Combine the basil, parsley, sundried tomatoes, garlic, and lemon juice in a food processor bowl; pulse and process the mixture until it is finely chopped. Slowly add extra virgin olive oil in a steady drizzle as you pulse the processor on and off. Process until it becomes a smooth, light paste. Add enough olive oil to keep it moist and spreadable. Season with sea salt.
2. Cover tightly and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to saturate the flavors. If storing overnight, pour a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil over the top of the pesto to help keep it bright green.
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.