Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- 2 ripe avocados
- 5 medjool dates, pitted + soaked
- 1/2 cup raw cocao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- tiny pinch of salt
- cinnamon for topping, optional
- fresh berries for topping, optional
1. Scoop out the inside of the avocados and add to a blender*. Next add dates, raw cocao, vanilla and salt. Open the can of coconut milk, being careful not to shake it. The cream will have risen to the top, leaving a thinner liquid at the bottom. Add 1/4 cup cream to the blender, saving the remaining cream in a small bowl. Begin to blend the mousse, stopping often to push down the ingredients and stir. If it's too thick add liquid coconut milk a few tablespoons at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
2. Hand whip remaining coconut cream until it has a soft "whipped cream" texture.
3. Portion mousse into 4 custard cups and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Top with a dollop of coconut whipped cream, a sprinkle of cinnamon and fresh berries.
*Note: if you don't have a good blender, you can also use a food processor for this recipe.
Photo Credit: Brent Hofacker