For the Pilaf
- 4-5 asparagus stalks, chopped into 1-inch pieced
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- ½ cup wild rice
- 1 cup vegetable broth (chicken works fine here too)
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt + pepper
For the Black Sesame Dressing
- ½ cup sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh wasabi (if you have it)
- ½ cup tamari
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons toasted black sesame seeds
1. If you have the time, soak rice in cold water for a few hours before cooking. Otherwise, just give it a good rinse.
2. Coat a large pot with olive oil and place over medium high heat. Add shallots and celery. Season with salt and pepper and cook until translucent, about one minute. Add garlic and cook for another minute, until soft.
3. Add rice and let cook for about a minute, stirring to coat the rice. Add broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the broth is absorbed. Remove from heat. Cover for about three minutes.
4. To char the asparagus: Place asparagus pieces on a foil-line baking sheet. Season with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Place under the broiler, checking on them and shaking the pan every minute or so. Remove when browning on all sides, about 4 minutes. Set aside.
5. To make the dressing: Place all ingredients besides oil in a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Slowly drizzle in oils to combine.
6. Uncover rice and fluff with fork. Add lentils, mix and season with salt and pepper to taste. Plate the rice and lentil pilaf and top with asparagus and as much dressing as you like.
Photography by Vanessa Ress
Recipes + Styling by Christina Liva