Fiber-Packed Oatmeal With Blueberry + Fig
Not only has this quickly become one of my favorite breakfast dishes for the amazing punch of flavors, it's difficult to ignore the amazing benefits of all the toppings. You'll be able to skip that mid morning snack since this is packed with fiber (1 cup of oats has close to 4 grams of fiber).
Don't worry about the carbohydrates in the oats because blueberries are loaded with manganese which plays an important role in converting carbohydrates and fat into energy. You'll be set to conquer the day with the greatest of ease and maybe even have a little extra pep in your step.
Blueberry + Fig Hot Breakfast Cereal
For the oats
- 1 cup of gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 cups of water
- ¼ cup of coconut milk (per serving)
For the toppings
- handful of fresh blueberries
- 3 large dried figs cut into pieces
- ½ teaspoon of flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons of crushed walnuts
- sprinkle of raisins (optional)
- drizzle of maple syrup (optional)
1. In a small sauce pan, bring the rolled oats and water to a boil. Once boiling, turn off heat, cover and let sit until water is fully absorbed into the oats, approximately 20 minutes.
2. Put half of the cooked oats into a serving bowl and cover with coconut milk. If oats are lumpy, lightly mix to incorporate the coconut milk throughout the oats.
3. Top the hot oat cereal with the toppings and savor!
Photo courtesy of the author
And are you ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.