Raw + Roasted Kale + Beet Chopped Salad
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 2 large beets, peeled and chopped in half
- 1 small can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 head lacinato kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup of raw pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- olive oil
- salt + pepper
For the dressing
- handful of mint leaves, julienned
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt + pepper
1. Pre-heat oven to 425ºF. Line and a baking sheet with parchment and place beets cut side down. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil and roast for about 35 minutes, turning once or twice with a spatula, under fork tender. When cool, chop into cubes.
2. Divide the kale in half. Arrange one half evenly on a parchment-lined baking sheet and place in the preheated oven for about 5-8 minutes, turning with a spatula every few minutes, until crisp and beginning to brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. To make the vinaigrette, mix all ingredients aside from the olive oil together in a bowl. Slowly drizzle in oil while whisking to incorporate.
4. In a large serving bowl, arrange the beets, both the raw and roasted kale, chickpeas and avocado in rows. Top with seeds and drizzle with vinaigrette. Toss and serve.
Photos by Vanessa Rees
Recipes + Styling by Christina Liva
And are you ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE web class with nutrition expert Kelly LeVeque.