Roasted Cauliflower With Vegan Sweet Potato Cream Sauce
This simple dish feels like comfort food, but it's actually full of healthy vitamins and minerals and is vegan and paleo to boot.
Roasted Cauliflower With Sweet Potato Cream Sauce
For the Roasted Cauliflower
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, optional
- 1 teaspoon course sea salt
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped -for garnish, optional
For the Sweet Potato Cream Sauce
- 1 1/4 cup diced sweet potato (I buy organic so I can leave the skin on)
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup water (use liquid from boiled veggies)
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- ¼ cup light coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1. For the cauliflower: Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Toss the cauliflower with the coconut oil, garlic, and red pepper on a baking sheet; sprinkle with the salt and toss again. Roast until golden and tender, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl.
2. For the cream sauce: Bring several cups of water to a boil in a small pot. Place chopped sweet potatoes and onion in the boiling water, and cook for about 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and soft enough to blend. Cooking time will vary slightly, based on how small you have chopped your veggies. When veggies are soft enough to blend, use a slotted spoon to remove them from cooking water, and place them in your blender. Add ¾ cup of that cooking water to your blender, along with your remaining sauce ingredients. Blend until smooth.
3. Pour the cream sauce over the cauliflower and mix to coat. Garnish with fresh cilantro to your liking.
Photo by Brent Hofacker