Entertaining? Try These 4 Vegan, Gluten-Free Dips
Dips often get a bad rap and for good reason — they are usually filled with sour cream, cheese and other dangerous (albeit delicious) stuff. Here are four tasty and varied vegan dips made gluten- and dairy-free that you can feel good about putting out for guests or serving your family.
Pineapple Avocado Salsa With Hazelnuts
- 1 large pineapple (about 2 cups diced)
- 1 large, ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- juice of 1 large lime
- pinch of lime zest
- sea salt + freshly ground pepper, to taste
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients; mix well to combine. Serve or place in the fridge until ready to serve with sliced veggies or gluten-free crackers.
Sweet Pea Puree
- 3 lbs. frozen baby peas, thawed
- 2 ½ tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh basil or chives, for garnish
1. Combine water and peas in a blender; puree until smooth.
2. Transfer mixture to a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring often until hot, about 2-3 minutes. Add in butter and sea salt. Season to taste with sea salt. Serve warm. Garnish with fresh basil or chives.
Swiss Chard Almond Pesto
- 1 bunch of Swiss chard leaves, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- sea salt + freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoon sliced almonds
1. Combine all ingredients except almonds in a food processor; pulse until chunky or to desired smooth consistency. Garnish with almonds. Serve or place in the fridge until ready to serve with gluten-free crackers.
Creamy Coconut Milk + Thyme Dip
- 2 cups coconut milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoon fresh thyme (or marjoram)
- ¼ teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl; mix well to combine. Serve or place in the fridge to chill until ready to serve with veggie chips.