Like Nutella? Try These Vegan Hazelnut Cups
Chocolate Hazelnut Cups is one of the recipes from my newly released eCookbook 'BecomingSweet – Say yes to dessert again!'. They are gluten-, dairy- and refined sugar-free and the perfect healthy chocolate treat without all the nasties.
Chocolate Hazelnut Cups
Makes 20 cups
3/4 cup raw hazelnuts 1 + 1/2 tablespoons raw cacao powder 4 tablespoons coconut milk (canned) 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup coconut oil 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (raw/organic honey would also work) 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
20 hazelnuts (one for each chocolate hazelnut cup)
1. To make the chocolate coating, melt the coconut oil in saucepan on low heat. Once melted, add the maple syrup (or honey), whisking briskly until well combined. Then add the cacao powder, stirring until well mixed through.
2. Preheat oven to 180ºF and line two baking trays with baking paper.
3. Once the oven has heated, place the hazelnuts for the hazelnut filling on one of the baking trays and the hazelnuts for the topping on the other baking tray and bake for approximately 5 to 8 minutes until the skins have darkened and are easy to remove. Rub the hazelnuts between your hands or in a tea towel to remove as much of the skin as possible.
4. Place the filling hazelnuts into a blender and process until they form a smooth paste. Add the cacao powder, coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract; process until combined and smooth. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Line a mini muffin pan with paper liners (patty pans).
5. To make each chocolate hazelnut cup, spoon 1 teaspoon of the chocolate coating into each liner and place in the freezer for 10 minutes to set. When the chocolate has set, remove from the freezer, spoon the hazelnut mixture into each one and smooth with the back of a spoon. Then spoon the remaining chocolate over the top and place the topping hazelnut on top of each one.
6. Place in the freezer for 1 hour to set. I recommend storing these in the freezer. Allow to thaw slightly before eating.
Ready to learn how to fight inflammation and address autoimmune disease through the power of food? Join our 5-Day Inflammation Video Summit with mindbodygreen’s top doctors.