Pumpkin seeds are high on a list of super foods in my book. They are a source of protein, zinc, antioxidants and magnesium. 25 grams of pumpkin seeds can provide over 20% of the recommended daily iron intake. Today, we're roasting them with sweet and hot paprika for a perfect crunchy snack.
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- seeds from 1 squash (depending on the size of the squash you will have about a cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon of roasted sweet paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of roasted hot paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of rapeseed oil
1. Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
2. Free your pumpkin seeds from as much pumpkin meat as you can manage and put them in a bowl. Pour boiling water over the seeds and let them sit in it for few minutes, then drain.
3. Add the seasoning and oil to the seeds and mix well.
4. Transfer the seeds onto a baking tray and spread them evenly. Bake for about 20 minutes, until the seeds are golden brown, stirring once or twice during the process. Make sure you watch them so they don't burn.
5. Let them cool and enjoy as an afternoon snack.
1. They make a great salad topping.
2. Experiment with the spices — this recipe is only to get you started.
3. If you don't have roasted paprika powder (go and get it! I use it all the time) try adding salt and cayenne pepper.
4. They will also work with sweet flavors — try a little coconut oil, cinnamon and maybe a dash of maple syrup.
5. I don't bother shelling them. I think they are amazing as they are.
Photo courtesy of the author