Healing Slow-Cooked Lamb Soup With Turmeric & Thyme
This super healing soup is made with homemade stock to help heal and seal your gut and promote healthy digestion. Add to that the anti-inflammatory properties of the herbs, spices and garlic to fight off cold and flu viruses and keep you healthy all winter long. Just pop all the ingredients in your slow cooker in the morning and come home to a beautiful smell wafting out as you open the door and lovely hot soup waiting.
Healing Slow-Cooked Lamb & Thyme Soup
For the Lamb Stock
- 1 lamb shank
- 4 cups water
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- salt + pepper
- coconut oil to drizzle
For the soup
- 2 small potatoes
- 2 sweet Potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt + pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon finely grated turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
1. To make the stock, season the lamb shank with salt and pepper, sear on both sides in a little coconut oil, then place in your slow cooker with the other ingredients. Cook on low overnight for 9-10 hours.
2. Remove the lamb shank. The meat should be falling off the bone. Chop the meat into small pieces. Set aside.
3. Let stock cool before placing in refrigerator. Once cooled, fat should settle on top. Skim off any fat and sieve the stock. Keep the liquid and place back in your slow cooker.
4. Prepare potato, sweet potato, carrots and tomatoes and cut into tiny pieces.
5. Place vegetables in your slow cooker with finely chopped onion and garlic, salt, pepper, turmeric, red wine, thyme, oregano and cumin.
6. Cook the soup on low for 6-8 hours. Add the lamb shank to the soup an hour before the soup is ready.
7. Ladle into warmed bowls, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE web class with nutrition expert Kelly LeVeque.