Ever heard of zoats? A combination of shredded zucchini and oats, zoats make an incredibly satisfying and nutrient-packed breakfast. Simply add grated zucchini to oats and cook them as you normally would, or take it to a whole new level with these creamy and incredibly satisfying chocolate pumpkin zoats.
Chocolate Pumpkin Zoats
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (or 1/2 cup baked pumpkin, chopped in cubes)
- 2 tablespoons raw cocoa powder (buying organic cocoa in bulk can help with cost)
- 2 tablespoons sweetener of your choice (I recommend brown rice syrup or honey)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon maca (optional superfood boost for energy)
- star fruit
- goji berries
- pumpkin seeds
1. Blend peeled zucchini and almond milk. Mix in oats with and cook in a small pot over medium heat until the liquid is absorbed and the oats expand, about 10 minutes.
2. Add pumpkin puree, stir well, cook a few more minutes. Add raw cacao, stir.
3. Turn off the heat, add sweetener of your choice, and serve with toppings of your choice.
Photo courtesy of the author