I was putting together a “rub” to slather on ribs and it occurred to me that a similar combination would be delicious tossed with roasted pecans and a bit of butter. It turns out my hunch was correct…these sweet and spicy pecans are delicious.
These are very addicting, so be careful you don’t go overboard and eat them all at once. And make sure to share. They make a great snack on their own…I also like them tossed into salads.
If you don’t want to use sugar, you could probably mix up the spices on their own, and add along with two tablespoons of pure maple syrup when you add the butter.
*4 cups raw pecans (for optimal digestion, it is best to soak the nuts for 2-6 hours before proceeding with the rest of the recipe...soak them in a bowl full of water along with 1-2 teaspoons of sea salt)
*2 tablespoons organic sugar
*1 teaspoon organic cocoa powder
*1/2-1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder (I used 1/2 teaspoon because I was afraid they'd otherwise be too spicy for my kids...I think I'll add more next time)
*1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
*1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
*1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
*2 tablespoons organic butter, melted
*coarse sea salt -- to taste
1. If you soaked the nuts, go ahead and drain them and pat dry. If not, just proceed with the rest of the recipe.
2. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Mix sugar through smoked paprika in a small bowl.
3. Spread the pecans out onto a sheet pan. Roast in preheated oven for 12-14 minutes, until they start to get crunchy and aromatic. Remove from the oven, and carefully transfer the pecans to a large bowl.
4. Pour the melted butter over the pecans. Mix well. Add the spiced sugar mixture and mix again, so that all of the pecans are coated.
5. Pour the coated pecans back onto the sheet pan and roast for another 3-5 minutes. Watch that they do not burn. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt to taste before serving.
Want your passion for wellness to change the world? Become A Functional Nutrition Coach! Enroll today to join our upcoming live office hours.