Do you ever get hit by a sudden chocolate craving? No need to deprive yourself!
Instead of reaching for that traditional chocolate candy bar, try these Almond Butter Chocolate Protein Balls. They're packed with plant-based protein, healthy fats and energizing glucose: the perfect combination to stay happy, healthy and fit!
Almond Butter Chocolate Protein Balls (They're Raw & Vegan!)
Makes about 25 small truffles
- 1 cup of almonds, soaked overnight + dehydrated until crisp
- 1 Tbsp. of extra virgin coconut oil (optional, you can replace this with extra water)
- ½ cup of dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp. of water
- 2 Tbsp. of cacao powder, unsweetened
- 2 Tbsp. of cacao nibs
- ½ Tbsp. of chia seeds
- ½ Tbsp. of hemp seeds (or extra chia seeds)
- ½ tsp. of Maca powder (optional, for an extra power boost)
- ¼ tsp. of Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt
- ½ cup of buckwheat, soaked overnight + dehydrated until crisp (or almonds, cashews …)
Place the almonds in a food processor fitted with an S-blade. Mix until finely ground.
Add the coconut oil and process until you reach a creamy ‘butter’ consistency. Add the dates and process again until finely ground and well combined.
Add water, cacao powder, cacao nibs, chia seeds, hemp seeds, Maca powder and salt. Process again.
Finally, add the crunchy buckwheat and pulse to combine.
Shape the dough into small truffles and roll them in goji berry powder, cacao powder, maca powder, dried coconut, crushed cacao nibs ... Whatever you’ve got on hand!
These Almond Butter Chocolate Protein Balls will stay fresh for at least 2 weeks in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
If you like to have a healthy sweet snack on hand, make a double (or triple) batch of these truffles and store them in the freezer.