These Vegan Black Bean Burgers Are A Real Crowd Pleaser
I was talking with my father on the phone last week, and he told me, “Molly, anyone who likes regular burgers and trying to eat better should try these. They’re delicious. Please share this recipe with whoever you share recipes with on your computer.”
I knew I had to share them. They’re dad tested and approved. Here they are, from me to you. With love.
Vegan Black Bean Burgers
For the beans
- 1 cup dried black beans (soaked overnight in enough water to cover them be several inches) OR 2 15-oz cans of black beans
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. red chili powder
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- If using dried beans beans: After the beans have soaked overnight, drain the water and rinse them. Heat the oil in the pressure cooker and add the beans and the spices.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 5 cups of water (1.2 liters) and lock the lid into place.
- Bring beans to pressure and cook for 25 minutes.
- Once the pressure has gone down, drain the water from the beans and set aside for now.
- For the burgers: Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Place the carrots, quinoa, beans, and salt in the food processor and blend until everything is mixed up. If you use canned beans, simply add all of the spices from the 'beans' ingredients to your food processor when combining the ingredients for the burgers.
- Place the mixture in a large bowl and make 6 equal sized patties. Bake on a baking sheet for 15 minutes on one side, flip and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve on lettuce leaves with onions, tomatoes, pickles, avocado, sprouts and some yummy smoked cheddar. Or however else you want to serve it!
Note: Whatever type of beans you use, make sure you don’t add any liquid along with them. You want them to be as dry as possible so that the patties can form easily. If for some reason the patties are too wet, add a little rice flour and stir.
Want your passion for wellness to change the world? Become A Functional Nutrition Coach! Enroll today to join our upcoming live office hours.