I'm an advocate of pre-work workouts, yes. However, that doesn’t mean I love waking up extra early. I definitely don’t love rushing around before work, either. My solution? Overnight oats – the perfect breakfast for saving a bit of time and allowing a few extra minutes after a run to relax and refuel.
Here, you can make a balanced meal the night before, pop it out from the fridge in the morning, and be on your way. Place it in a mason jar, and take it with you, or use the time you saved cooking the night before to relax at your dining table in the morning.
This rendition utilizes banana to cut back on the sugar needed to make this satisfying, while also adding chia seeds for a unique and exciting texture. Placed with milk overnight, the chia creates a gel-like consistency almost comparable to a smaller version of bubble tea balls, only with double the nutrition power.
Chia Overnight Oats
- 1/2 banana
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup soy milk, (if you like a creamier bowl of oats, add a bit more milk)
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- Small handful walnuts or almonds
- 3/4 Tbsp. chia seeds
- Maple syrup, to taste
- Optional toppings: sesame tahini, peanut butter, cocoa powder
- Mash banana in a bowl. Stir in oats, yogurt, milk, cinnamon and chia seeds. Mix until combined. Cover, and place in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, top with nuts, maple syrup and any additional toppings you desire.
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE web class with nutrition expert Kelly LeVeque.